Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chrome Extension: how to capture selected text and send to a web service

For the Google Chrome extension, I need to capture selected text in a web page and send to a web service. I'm stuck!
First I tried a bookmarklet, but Chrome on Mac seems to have some bookmarklet bugs so I decided to write an extension.
I use this code in my ext:
function getSelText(){
    var txt = 'nothing';
    if (window.getSelection){
        txt = "1" + window.getSelection();
    } else if (document.getSelection) {
        txt = "2" + document.getSelection();
    } else if (document.selection) {
        txt = "3" + document.selection.createRange().text;
    } else txt = "wtf";
    return txt;
}
var selection = getSelText();
alert("selection = " + selection);
When I click on my extension icon, I get a "1". So I think the act of selecting outside the browser window is causing the text to not be seen by the browser as "selected" any more.
Just a theory....
thoughts?

==================================

You can do this by using Extensions Messaging. Basically, your "background page" will send the request to your service. For example, lets say you have a "popup" and once you click on it, it will do a "Google search" which is your service.

content_script.js

In your content script, we need to listen for a request coming from your extension, so that we send it the selected text:
chrome.extension.onRequest.addListener(function(request, sender, sendResponse) {
    if (request.method == "getSelection")
      sendResponse({data: window.getSelection().toString()});
    else
      sendResponse({}); // snub them.
});

background.html

Now in background page you can handle the popup onclick event so that we know we clicked on the popup. Once we clicked on it, the callback fires, and then we can send a request to the content script using "Messaging" to fetch the selected text.

chrome.browserAction.onClicked.addListener(function(tab) {
  chrome.tabs.sendRequest(tab.id, {method: "getSelection"}, function(response){
     sendServiceRequest(response.data);
  });
});

function sendServiceRequest(selectedText) {
  var serviceCall = 'http://www.google.com/search?q=' + selectedText;
  chrome.tabs.create({url: serviceCall});
}

As you have seen, I registered a listener in a content script to allow my extension to send and receive messages from it. Then once I received a message, I handle it by searching for Google.

Hopefully, you can use what I explained above and apply it to your scenario. I just have to warn you that the code written above is not tested, so their might be spelling, or syntax errors. But those can easily be found by looking at your Inspector :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!